15843Re: light weight hammock failure

  • Jeff Ross
    Sep 30, 2006
      I had a hammock "fail" on me once. It was the rope actually. I had
      it pitched between two posts on a concrete patio. I was laying in it
      just enjoying life. 2 milliseconds later I was flat on my back on
      the concrete with agony blasting thru my elbows. One elbow wouldn't
      quit hurting even months later. Finally I went to a doctor and got
      it X-rayed. I had broken the tip of the elbow bone off, and it was
      just floating around in there. It took minor surgery to remove it.
      The doc had a sense of humor tho. While I was laying on the
      operating table in a drugged stupor, he showed me the peice of bone
      (about like a gristle covered Life Saver without the hole in it) and
      asked me if I wanted it for anything. The anesthetic they had me on
      made everything funny. We all had a good laugh.

      So I am real wary of flimsy ropes, puny trees, weak knots, and worn
      out or wimpy hammocks now. I would rather carry an extra pound or
      two of weight than have my bed collapse under me out in the
      boondocks.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...>
      wrote:

      > report time... the hammock i was using at hot springs let me down
      > last night. thank the Lord, it let me down gently, so neither i or
      > the exped dam were hurt.
      > i looked back through the messages on this group to try & be
      sure
      > of things like the weight of the fabric & when i made it. i still
      can
      > only be approximant on those things, but at least it can serve as
      > somewhat of an exsample. course we know there`s always varibles.
      > anyway, i belive i made it back in early spring, but i`ve been
      > using it on a regular basis for about 2 months. that includes
      > backpacking/camping trips and nightly at home.
      > i belive the fabric was about 1.5oz per sq yard.
      > i figured it would fail somewhere along the length under my pad,
      but
      > it tore right at the knot.
      > anyway, it had become my favorite hammock & i will make another
      w/
      > the same dementions but of another fabric i found in the $1.00 bin
      > that`s got a really nice feel to it, but a stronger (& heavyer)
      fabric.
      &
      > using the exped dam. so this put more force on the fabric.
      > i probably wouldn`t have a problem w/ making another one from
      fabric as
      > light as the one that just failed, but just use it for backpacking
      &
      > not long-trem. ...tim

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic