15837Re: cold weather set up

  • Coy
    Sep 29, 2006
      Sounds like you have a good modification worked out. I'd love to see
      pics. You may have noticed you can tie a string from the zipper
      pull to zipper pull (on a 2-way zipper) to limit how much it will
      open. It helps to have someone do this for you after you get in
      (then leave it or remember the distance). Also cramming extra
      clothes in the foot end helps keep out drafts. However, on
      backpacking trips, extra clothes may be needed worn so might not be
      available. Any sag under you will make your back feel cold. You
      should be able to put your arm under you (between hammock and bag
      under hammock) but not flop it up and down. If this is the case you
      need to figgure a way to tighten the bags circumfrance to pull it
      snuggley under you.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71"
      <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

      > Hi all! I was finally able to test out my cold weather system in
      the
      > backyard. I had a footbox zipper installed in my old 20 degree
      > Slumberjack bag. This enabled me to use it around my entire
      hammock.
      > Thanks to Coy for the idea!
      >
      > Last night it reached 35F under my tarp. I moved the thermometer
      > inside my bag and got a reading of 75F. I was only wearing a long
      > sleeve T and jeans, cotton socks. I had my patagonia wool blend
      > stocking cap on too.
      >
      > I slept nice and toasty until 5am when nature called. I noticed at
      > 5am my back was slightly chilly. I guess this was caused by the
      > footbox zipper coming completely unzipped causing a draft
      underneath
      > me. On "real" trips I plan on dressing more for the weather and
      if it
      > plans to get really cold I will bring my homemade top quilt. I can
      > also rig the zipper so it won't come completely unzipped.
      >
      > I would like to add some sort of wind layer to the bottom. I am
      > looking at designing something to the JRB weathershield bottom.
      >
      > Overall, I am pleased with this set up and hope to try it out on a
      > "real" trip soon. If anyone would like to see some pics, I can
      post
      > some. Let me know.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic