15610Re: [Hammock Camping] sleeping bag (opened up) as an underquilt?

  • jack_tier
    Sep 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "gtvlfed" <jneale@...> wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The important factors in using down as an underquilt in cold
      > > temperatures (my experience) are:
      > > - finding a way to not compress the outer fabric against the
      down so
      > > that it compresses the down and decreases the amount of
      > > - finding a way to make sure that the down is against the bottom
      of the
      > > hammock (finding a way to eliminate an air compartment between
      the down
      > > and the hammock)
      > >
      > > I have not found a way of doing that without using the surface
      of the
      > > hammock as the top surface of the down enclosing space.
      > Thanks Rick & Jeff, both sets of comments are helpful. And it's
      > that the more insulation, the greater the tendancy to sag away from
      > the hammock bottom... or overtighten and compress the down.
      > I failed to mention the I'm working with a HH and do like the idea
      > the flexibility to change of remove the underquilt to match
      > Just a thought, is it feasible to have a series of attachment
      > mechanisms (ie. ties) sewn to the bottom of a HH that would match
      > with ties/grommets on the topside of the underquilt so that it
      > be held close and not compress... regardless of the weight of the
      > occupant?
      > Jim

      FWIW, most of the JRB quilts have the mounting tabs for use as an
      under quilt....they are designed to be doubled up as necessary for
      weather below 30 degrees....many use their No Sniveller below their
      Nest and a suitable winter bag from their old gear locker on
      top...Or if weight is an issue, the ORM is a true winter quilt at 3+
      inches of loft for a single layer...

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic