15596sleeping bag (opened up) as an underquilt?

  • gtvlfed
    Sep 1, 2006
      I've come to love using my underquilt (the JRB Nest). However, we're
      reaching that time of year here in Nova Scotia where the quilt alone
      isn't warm enough underneath. Adding a pad seems like such a
      compromise - yes, I've become a quilt-snob.

      As it happens, I can get a winter weight (-12C) down (800) mummy
      sleeping bag for a very very good price. I took a good look at it and
      if the hood was removed (perhaps turned into a separate clothing
      item), the foot box was opened up, the zippers cut (but taping left
      intact) and attachment straps added... it looks as though it could
      easily be converted to a very suitable underquilt. It doesn't appear
      that there'd be alot of excess bag (and therefore unnecessary
      weight/bulk).

      What makes this option worth thinking about is that I can get lots of
      insulation, in quality down and, at the moment, at a better price than
      anything else I'm aware of.

      Anyone tried this and if so, how did it work out? Any reactions or
      suggestions?

      Jim
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic