15590Re: douple hammock / S.P.E.

  • jonas4321
    Aug 31, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...> wrote:

      > in the photo section (as double hammock / S.P.E.)i put a photo of an
      > idea i`ve been thinking about. i could be going on something some one
      > else has already talked about, but i can`t remember.
      > it`s basicly a SPE x 4, but wide enough that it is sewn into the
      > hammock. the SPE would be a lighter fabric than the hammock... also a
      > little wider. this would alow it to lay in the hammock body w/o
      > pulling a great deal on the edges of the hammock. but it would keep
      > the pad centered & the ccf wings in place.
      > just wanted to throw it out as food for thought. ...tim

      Tim-

      Cool idea. I am concerned about putting stitching in the body of a
      hammock, but since all of the hammocks I have made are double-bottom
      (Risk's ZHammock design), I would be more comfortable if the stitching
      was only in the top layer, leaving the bottom layer un-perforated. Use
      1.1oz ripstop for both layers, but sew a third partial layer of
      pouches for the DAM (or other pad) and the insulating pad segments. I
      made my own SPE-type thingie for winter camping, but keeping it
      centered in the hammock whilst getting in and out was a little tricky,
      particularly with the DAM making me ride a lot higher inside. Sewing
      the pockets directly in the top layer would eliminate shifting but
      still give the benefits of a SPE. When pads weren't needed, the
      pouches would simply remain empty.

      I like the artistic work! Nice use of color!

      Jonas
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic