15426Re: rope vs. tree hugger

    Aug 18, 2006
      Jonas,

      I wasn't trying to justify using rope that "stays round" as opposed
      to rope that flattens or using webbing to attach hammocks to trees
      and I don't believe I said that. I do believe that multi-wrap
      methods reduce the impact of any rope of webbing that is used. But
      like you observed, the first wrap may take most or nearly all of the
      force... and it may not, depending on the ratio of the force applied
      and the friction between the tree and the webbing (or rope) as well
      as how tightly the wrap is applied. I think you will find this
      varies with larger diameter trees with rough bark versus smaller
      diameter trees with smooth bark. The smaller diameter trees with
      smooth bark will benefit more since there is less friction per wrap
      and my guess is that these are the trees that need more
      consideration.

      Dave

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
      wrote:

      > > There are also many techniques for attaching webbing or rope to
      > > trees and those can have a significant impact on how much and
      what
      > > kind of damage might occur to trees. Ed Speer's multi-wrap
      > > technique can be applied to rope as easily as webbing and
      finished
      > > with two half hitches, the last with a slip loop, for added
      > > security, especially with more slippery types of rope. This
      simple
      > > technique does require longer lengths of rope but will lessen
      the
      > > impact for any rope or webbing that is used.
      >
      > I respectfully disagree that the 4 wrap method reduces the impact,
      > thereby justifying using rope that "stays round" (as opposed to
      rope
      > that flattens or using webbing). The first wrap is going to apply
      > virtually all of the pressure to the tree. The rest of the wraps
      > impart virtually no pressure compared to the first. The second and
      > subsequent wraps distribute friction along the length of the rope
      (or
      > webbing) to act like a knot to keep it from slipping or coming
      > unwound, they don't share much of the load. Try wiggling the
      second or
      > third wraps and they move fairly easily up and down. Try that with
      the
      > first wrap, and you find that it won't move at all because it is so
      > tight against the tree.
      >
      > I am no scientist, I just have tried this, I am going on empirical
      > information.
      >
      > Jonas

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic