15425Re: rope vs. tree hugger

  • jonas4321
    Aug 18 9:24 AM

      > There are also many techniques for attaching webbing or rope to
      > trees and those can have a significant impact on how much and what
      > kind of damage might occur to trees. Ed Speer's multi-wrap
      > technique can be applied to rope as easily as webbing and finished
      > with two half hitches, the last with a slip loop, for added
      > security, especially with more slippery types of rope. This simple
      > technique does require longer lengths of rope but will lessen the
      > impact for any rope or webbing that is used.

      I respectfully disagree that the 4 wrap method reduces the impact,
      thereby justifying using rope that "stays round" (as opposed to rope
      that flattens or using webbing). The first wrap is going to apply
      virtually all of the pressure to the tree. The rest of the wraps
      impart virtually no pressure compared to the first. The second and
      subsequent wraps distribute friction along the length of the rope (or
      webbing) to act like a knot to keep it from slipping or coming
      unwound, they don't share much of the load. Try wiggling the second or
      third wraps and they move fairly easily up and down. Try that with the
      first wrap, and you find that it won't move at all because it is so
      tight against the tree.

      I am no scientist, I just have tried this, I am going on empirical
      information.

      Jonas
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic