15402RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: rope vs. tree hugger

  • Carey Parks
    Aug 17, 2006
      Thanks Scott, for letting us know. While some may point out that it was not
      a scientific study, this piece of empirical data is the result of an actual
      trial and while it may not quantify the impact on the tree, and while you
      are not stating that the tree will suffer to any particulat degree, it does
      show that in this kind of use, tree huggers did reduce the visible effects
      of hanging in your hammock.

      I'm pleased that you determined tree hugger use is worth your trouble. I
      find using the huggers easier than tying to the tree, since I can get the
      trees wrapped with the huggers before I take the hammock out, and once hung,
      adjusting the hammock, which requires movement of the rope, is easier when I
      use the huggers than when I have to move all that line around the tree. But
      everyone's different.

      As for the tarp, it's nice to use the supplied clips but I find they allow
      the tarp to sag and slack the pitch when I get into the hammock. Thus I
      prefer to tie the tarp ridgeline clips directly to the tree huggers once the
      hammock is up. Then the hammock does sag a bit lower than the tarp, which is
      actually nice in all but blowing rain. In the case of blowing rain, I'll use
      my larger tarp on the hammock.

      Keep up the field tests!

      Carey