15270Re: HH on PCT report

  • Rat
    Aug 13, 2006
      I agree with Jeff, lighter alternatives are out there. However, to
      begine with, The HH isn't the lightest hammock. So, if your PRIMARY
      concern is weight, then yes, you need to re-evaluate your hammock
      choice. HH isn't the lightest, just easier to set up, less of a
      learning curve than some others and all an in one package. But not
      lighter.

      Many times I find people comparing their old superlight 1.1 sil-nyl
      tarp shelters to HH Exped Asym. But that isn't fair to either
      system, they are totaly different material. Getting a hammock to
      within a few ounces of a trap system is possible, but you must
      compare apples to apples.

      Really, the only difference is that you are gonna need to carry a
      little more insulation for under the hammock. But, if done
      correctly, that also can be within a few ounces of a thick pad and
      bag of the same temp rating.

      But then again, I'm not a lightnic, comfort and durability are for
      me. My sytem is light enough for me and, it's bomb-proof!

      Rat

      > Brian,
      >
      > I've never used the Undercover and Underpad, but I understand that
      > many people are warm to about 50F with that system as their only
      > bottom insulation. By contrast, for about the same weight, you
      could
      > use only the JRB Nest that Pan sells and be comfortable into the
      30s.
      > Or a Speer pad extender and CCF pads for a more inexpensive route -

      > about the same weight as the HH system and you shouldn't have a
      > problem being warm into the 30s.
      >
      > Not really knocking the HH system - as I said I don't have any
      direct
      > experience with it - I just haven't seen many people confirm that
      it's
      > good to much below 50 F. And for that weight, other systems can
      > likely get you another 10-20 degrees of warmth.
      >
      > JMO.
      >
      > Jeff

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic