      Posted by: "Brian Lewis" brianle@...<mailto:brianle@...> brianxlewx
      Date: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:58 am (PDT)

      Mini-biners: these weigh 3 *grams* each. I use one to hang a little
      water bottle on the HH ridgeline, another my thermometer, another a
      small bag inside the hammock, or sometimes I hang the backpack from a
      tree strap. Doesn't seem like a good thing to scrap. The little
      plastic hooks HH puts inside the hammock are on the wrong side of the
      little mesh pocket thing IMO.

      ***If you are up for spending a few bucks to save more weight, check out the wire gate micro-biners at <Backpackinglight.com>. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ursalite_micro_carabiner.html<http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ursalite_micro_carabiner.html> Also, Take a look at the mesh hanging bag and the mitten hooks on the ridgeline. I decided I wanted the hooks on the other side and was able to work the (empty) mesh bag through the "eye" of the hooks.

      Scrap the extra straps: I suspect your hammock experience is in an area with smaller trees.
      (SNIP)

      ***I'm mostly and east coast hammocker and have limited experience with the huge-girthed trees some encounter. If the trees are close enough that I don't need all the suspension lines to span tree distances, I've had decent luck with vertically placing one or more twigs under the ropes where they might contact the trees' bark. I've also tied extra line to the tree huggers and tied the "auxiliary" line/lines to other trees when ideally spaced trees were not also of sufficient diameter. Car camping I am more likely to have spare line than when backpacking, of course.

      Tyvec: I might dump that. If I wasn't hiking with dirt campers, I
      probably would, but the odds seemed high enough that I might have to
      setup on the ground at some point, and I'd prefer to have a light
      ground cloth in that event. This adds 1.4 ounces.

      ***Consider a lighter ground cloth. If you can deal with the noise, a space blanket or even a half-width space blanket may suffice. One of the lightest groundcloths can be found at <GossamerGear.com>. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html<http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_clothhtml>>
      I will get back to my trip report and lengthy what worked/didn't, but for now, one thing I was happy using for under-hammock insulation was a 100 wt., single napped fleece tunic I threw together. Attached to the underside and pullouts with elastic cord, it stayed in place and held IN PLACE a length of 1/8" ccf. Worked great! This pad would crumple/ball up inside the hammock but worked well on top of the thin fleece, napped side up. The ccf pad was also my back padding for my pack, and the tunic was great on chilly evenings and early mornings around camp.

      Best-

      Rosaleen