15060Re: Hammock recommendation Amazon vacation midwest USA living

    Aug 2, 2006
      > This would be the time for the spray DEET.
      >
      > BTW Dave had some insect repellant on our last trip that used one of
      > th newer ingrediants used in europe for a while. Even friendlier
      > than the non DEET stuff i have used. Maybe he will read this and
      > supply the name...not only do I need glasses, my memory aint all
      > that good.

      Coy,

      It is Picaridin that is suppose to be a replacement for DEET. I have
      seen it in 7% and 15% solutions. I don't find it objectionable but
      that isn't all that strong of solutions, I think that is equivalent to
      about the same strength DEET. I was at Springer Mtn in late June and
      it didn't keep the gnats away from me while some other folks said
      their DEET based Back Woods Off did... I was using the 15% Cutter
      Advanced Picaridin spray and their Back Woods Off DEET was probably 2
      or 3 times stronger. Anyhow, that didn't make me feel as good about
      it as I was hoping I would. The gnats go away when it gets dark but
      7% solution bottle does say it repels gnats, it didn't for me.

      Dave
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic