15Hammock Camping Re: OK.....first question

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Jan 9, 2003
      I'm not sure which snakes can climb trees. I know black racers and
      chichen snakes do. I was a tree climber for several years in my
      younger days and got quite a scare several times when I would climb
      across one being real still or hid in a knot or nest. Good thing I
      was tied in or I might have fell to the ground a few times. But I
      don't ever recall seeing a Rattlesnake, Copperhead, or Water
      Moccisian in a tree. But that said I don't know if they climb or
      not.

      Coy Boy

      > I did once have a racoon climb down a tree I was tied to; another
      time a
      > porcupine actually climbed a tree I was tied to! He stayed up all
      night
      > and finally came down at dawn. Neither animal bothered me or my
      pack w/
      > food.
      >
      > The pie pan would probably work well in a situation like the
      campsites
      > in the Everglades when very large numbers of rats or racoons show
      up
      > looking for fresh water. It's rare, but does happen.
      Occassionally
      > small islands there are overrun by 1,000's of rats--if you didn't
      know
      > and camped on their island....!
      >
      > Our tree climbing snakes in the US are not poisonous, or are
      they? This
      > might be a concern in other parts of the world. I've seen snakes
      in the
      > Amazon that easily hold their head 3 feet off the ground! I still
      feel
      > safer in a hammock than on the ground.
      >

      > No. But I've hear of it happening and of people using pie pans,
      > frisbies ect. as a block. I guess the wild critters havent had
      time
      > to figure it out like yard critters. I know a few squirls that
      > would laugh at such attempts.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <info@s...> wrote:
      > > I've never had any critters climb down the hanging straps; have
      > you?

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic