14142Re: silnylon down underquilt

  • kbwaddy
    Jun 16, 2006
      thanks for the input guys, i had thought about some of those things as well, i
      was considering making it so you could turn it inside out if it ever did get
      moisture inside, this would require more noseeum than regular baffeling
      though, although i would probably have fewer and larger baffels for ease of
      construction, i guess they would be more like pockets rather than baffels. only
      connected to one side of the shell so it could be turned inside out, this would
      require some sort of opening at one end which would alleviate any problems
      with lofting up and cramming into a stuff sac, as you could open the end a little
      so air could enter or exit. it seems like it would be similar to using the down
      filled air mats, which are obviously just as un breathable, i guess a quilt might
      cover a higher % of the hammock than a air mat though. it seemed like it
      might be a good idea since underquilts can get wet so easily. i don't see how
      it would cause any more condensation problems than the hennessy
      undercover would, which i haven't used so i don't know if there are major
      condensation problems there. i was thinking if only the outside of the quilt(part
      exposed to the elements) was waterproof, moisture evaporating from your
      body would pass through the breathable side, into the interior of the bag and
      then have nowhere to go, and soak the down, but if the whole thing is
      waterproof then moisture would not be able to penetrate from either side,
      keeping the down dry. does this sound right? obviously humid air could enter
      the bag during the lofting process which could dampen the down to some
      extent, but it doesn't seem like it would be any worse than unstuffing your
      down sleeping bag or filling up your down air mat in the same conditions.
      ...Brandon

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <
      dpwomble@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jwj32542@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kbwaddy" <kbwaddy@>
      wrote:

      > > > has anyone made a down underquilt out of waterproof fabric like
      > > silnylon?
      > > > can anyone forsee any problems with this?...Brandon
      > > >

      > > 1 - It's not breathable so you'll have to manage condensation
      > >
      > > 2 - If the whole thing is made from silnylon, you may have a hard
      > time
      > > compressing it and it may take longer than DWR to loft back up -
      > just
      > > guessing there, though.
      > >
      > > Stephenson's uses non-breathable material for a VB liner in their
      > > bags, but I'm not sure how well that would work in a quilt since
      > the
      > > vapor could escape out the sides. I haven't heard of anyone making
      > > silnylon quilt, so be sure to post results if you do.
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >

      > My thoughts are like Jeff's, in that it will be different in how it
      > handles condensation, wind and how easily it lofts/deflates. It will
      > be warmer because there is an inverse relationship between
      > breathability and heat retention (and wind proofness as well).
      > However it will not handle overheating and the perspiration that goes
      > with that as well as breathable material, you will need to be more
      > careful about venting to avoid overheating and the hammock fabric
      > might get a little damp if it wicks off perspiration. One of the
      > earlier home made underquilts for HHs used the material from an
      > emergency blanket for the side of the quilt that made contact with
      > the hammock, so somebody has experience with that.
      >
      > As far as condensation/perspiration goes, you aren't too different
      > than sleeping in a tent with a bathtub floor (you know how miserable
      > they can be when it is hot, humid and buggy) and you are in about the
      > same boat as folks that use two layer hammocks with closed cell pads
      > in between the layers. But you can vent an underquilt or just not
      > use it in those conditions. My biggest worry would be drying it out
      > it you got moisture inside it and it was all silnylon.
      >
      > Dave

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic