14094Re: HH supershelter experiences sought

  • André Corterier
    Jun 13, 2006
      Based on *some* experience with it, I very much doubt that open-
      celled foam will do much for you by way of insulation when on the
      ground - particularly if the temps are such that you're going to
      ground because you get chilled when hanging.
      For the ground option, you absolutely *need* something which won't
      compress underneath you. DownAirMat, Big Agnes Insulated Air Core,
      ccf pads all work - with the ccf pads being the simplest and cheapest
      option. *Or* you decide that when you see a night coming in which
      you'll have to go to ground, you start looking for a camp site early
      on and find one where you can gather a lot of natural insulation
      (dead leaves and the like) to build a nest. Not necessarily
      comfortable, but nothing short of a DAM will feel comfortable on the
      ground once you're used to hammocking.

      André

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
      wrote:

      > I recently bought a HH ultralight a-sym and the HH supershelter
      > (undercover + underpad, not the overcover); thus far my massive
      > hammock experience is of sleeping in my backyard a couple of
      nights.

      > I'll be doing a 150 mile stretch of the PCT in August and want to
      > minimize potential unhappiness. At one point the trail gets up above
      > 7000 feet or so; I don't tend to get cold at night but am a little
      > concerned after reading backpackgeartest.org reviews. It seems
      that
      > --- having now bought the supershelter (which works fine in my
      > backyard :-), I'd like to figure out some in-between approach that
      > will keep me warm enough at relatively "upper" elevations, but not
      be
      > so beefy + heavy + expensive as to be winter-proof (i.e., a JRB nest
      > or the like).
      >
      > I'm thinking of buying a second underpad --- at 5-1/2 more ounces
      and
      > $30 this seems like a reasonable idea. Any experience out there in
      > using two underpads? How about just buying open-celled foam and
      > making my own second underpad? (for $30 maybe not worth the effort)
      >
      > I would hope that two underpads might also be enough cushioning in
      the
      > case I have to pitch the hammock as a ground tent (my fellow hikers
      > have conventional tents); I don't want to also bring a traditional
      > sleeping pad.
      >
      > Another issue is how to store the hammock in my backpack. The HH
      site
      > says this:
      > "KEEPING IT ALL TOGETHER Once the Undercover and Underpad are
      > installed, I suggest leaving the system on the hammock. This makes
      > set-up and break-down a breeze and also protects the somewhat
      fragile
      > pad from damage. I just stuff it all into my pack compressing the
      foam
      > UnderPad a lot if my pack is full or less if there is more room. We
      > reccommend lashing all of the attachmenty points so that they cannot
      > come loose when collalpsed into your pack."
      >
      > I like the idea of keeping it all together (and not using snakeskins
      > so I can keep the underpad in place)). What I'm considering is
      > getting a couple of light stuff sacks, one for the tarp (which could
      > be wet and I thus want to store separately), and another for the
      > overall hammock plus supershelter with pad(s?) left in. Good
      approach?

      > There are little loops at the far ends of the hammock; any risk if I
      > put and just keep mini-beeners there, to include leaving these there
      > when I stuff the hammock at the bottom of my backpack? I figure I
      can
      > store significant stuff in a bag at one or both ends without it
      > getting in my way.
      >

      > Thanks in advance for feedback on any of the above.
      >

      > Brian

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic