14080RE: [Hammock Camping] HH supershelter experiences sought

  • Stuhr, Tim
    Jun 13, 2006
      I have the HH Expedition with the SuperShelter.

      If you get the largest snakeskins you can close up the hammock, undercover and underpad in them, but they are snug. The tarp will need to be stored separately or in another set of snakeskins. You will still need some other pad below you to get down near or at freezing temperatures and I'm not sure another underpad will do it, and it certainly will not offer much comfort or protection on the ground. Each pad is only 1/4" open cell foam so it will compress a lot.

      I slept warm to the high 20's / low 30's with the undercover, underpad, a 3/4 length Thermarest Ultralight pad and a 20 degree down bag. Probably the same size closed cell pad will do about the same as the Thermarest. The extra padding can be put on top of the underpad instead of inside the hammock. I use a 9X9 Kelty tarp on top.

      Tim