13954Re: mini trip report on Ga AT

  • ksbioteacher
    Jun 2, 2006
      Dave,

      Do a google image search for "ichneumon wasp". I think you'll find
      one of the images close to the wasps that you observed. The "whip" is
      their ovipositor and the actually can drill through more than an inch
      of hardwood to lay eggs in beetle larvae. They are cool. The entire
      family parasitizes other insects which is why they really weren't
      interested in you.

      BW

      > One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a dead
      > tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
      > seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow markings,
      > stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and they
      > would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and then
      > slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended off
      > their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been using to
      > pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the tree
      > they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they flew it
      > dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't have
      > my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like something
      > that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
      > gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with his
      > camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.
      >
      > Dave

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic