13953Re: mini trip report on Ga AT

    Jun 2, 2006
      One thing I forgot to mention was a group of insects we saw on a dead
      tree at Blue Mountain Shelter. I couldn't believe what we were
      seeing. They were black wasp like insects with some yellow markings,
      stinger, extended bodies that were maybe 2 or 3 inches long and they
      would slowly extend a green fan like thing from there rear and then
      slowly retract it. They also had a long black whip that extended off
      their rear that was 4 to 6 inches long that they may have been using to
      pierce the tree, I couldn't tell for sure. When they were on the tree
      they sometimes curled it around near their heads but when they flew it
      dropped down straight and sort of dragged behind them. I didn't have
      my camera and didn't get a picture but it didn't look like something
      that quite belonged here. At one time there where about 9 of us
      gathered around them and one guy stayed pretty close to them with his
      camera for a while, they never payed us any attention.

      Dave
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic