13951mini trip report on Ga AT

  • Coy
    Jun 1, 2006
      Dave, Cody and I had a nice 4 day hike this week. We started at Dicks
      Gap at 11 AM on Monday. We ended up at Neels Gap this morning at 12
      PM. We made about 8 miles the first day. around 11 the next 2 and 6
      today. Of cours Dave and Cody spent a lot of time waiting on me. We
      had a little rain the first day, and thunder storms the last 2 nights.
      But everyone stayed dry despite some pretty windy conditions. Being
      in the trees helped. It was nice hiking weather but when it is 86
      degrees headed up Rocky Top there is no such thing as sweating. It
      moves into a new realm called dripping. To top it off a sweat bee got
      me while resting in my hammock at the top. In fact the 3 mountans we
      climbed the second day bout zapped me. We hiked the 11 miles the
      third day on realitivly flat gound failrly fast (for me but still took
      rest breaks etc) and cody was attacked but a crazy squirel. I must
      have been startled cause it jumped at his leg, bounced off and ran
      between he and Dave off into the underbrush. As usual, I was to far
      back to see the show but heard the yelling. I felt really low as we
      ended at Hogpen Gap. If the car were parked there I doubt I could
      have been convinced to continue on. But a quick climb up on Wildcat
      Mt. and a good rest (we got there early enough to sit around awhile)
      made a differance in my outlook. Then a night in the hammock sealed
      the deal. I knew I could make the last 6 miles today. But back on
      Wildcat Mt. Dave had mentioned clouds shooting the gap (Testnatee Gap)
      and sure nuff about an hour before sundown they put on a show. Of
      course the clouds were also the prerunner of a pretty good
      thunderstorm. The whole hike was great but the night on Wildcat
      mountain was the best. As always, it was great to hike with Dave.
      Just don't listen to him whe he say that was the last big climb....

      Coy Boy
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic