13948Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock support lines

  • Ralph Oborn
    Jun 1, 2006
      > So if a little bark falls off, big deal. Once another tornado hits my
      > little town that tree might not be there.

      Yes, but some over-zealous park official isn't going to propose (and
      probably get passed) a regulation banning tornados and hurricanes
      from state or national parks. But let a little tree damage from
      hammocks occur, and see if this doesn't happen. The fault of your
      analogy is that natural disasters (you didn't mention forest fires)
      are unavoidable, while much more minor damage (or even perceived
      damage) from hammocks is avoidable by passing a regulation. As one
      who used to write regulations for a natural resources agency, I know
      of which I speak -- if your only tool is a hammer, every problem
      seems like a nail. And if your only tool is prohibition . . . .

      Hey,
      Before I knew about tree huggers, I got harrased in Yellowstone by a
      backwoods ranger for harming tree bark with a cheep string hammock. He
      failed to see the humor when I pointed out that most of the bark had been
      stripped off by bears sharpening their claws on said bark!! :]

      Bears, tornadoes, bark beetles etc = natural = good

      You and me in a hammock = un natural = bad

      And they don't have a sense of humor! Use a tree hugger, it shows them you
      understand the issue and are attempting to trad lightly.

      Ralph