13935Re: hammock support lines

  • sebastiantoney
    Jun 1, 2006
      I use 1.5 inch webbing for my hammock. There is gonna be some "damage"
      no matter what you do.

      Here's what I think: the last tornado that came throught town did a
      whole lot more damage to trees than I ever could. If you look at the
      number of trees destoryed by hurricanes, earthquakes, floods,
      droughts, lightning, thunderstorms, tornados, tsunamis, etc, those
      natural disasters have probably done a million times more damage to
      trees than the entire hammock hanger population world wide.

      So if a little bark falls off, big deal. Once another tornado hits my
      little town that tree might not be there.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...> wrote:

      > yeah, there`s been quite a bit of talk here & on other backpacking
      > groups/sites about tree damage. others here can do a better job of
      > explaining the in`s & out`s of it, but here`s what i`ve gathered so
      > far.
      > the damage will vary from one kind of tree to another (like a
      > smooth bark beech or a rough bark pine). and then there are differant
      > kinds & thickness` of rope.
      > some bark could probably take it with-out any sign of damage,
      > especialy not anything that would show up as a problem for quite some
      > time. but even though a hammock gives us a lot of freedom in where we
      > sleep, the best place we find our hammock for the night may be using
      > trees with thin bark.
      > it seems a much better idea to err on the side of caution,
      > especialy when we`re encouraging others to try hammocking & some of
      > those folks may not know any differance from one tree to another.
      > and some of them probably wont care. so it`s better to encourage
      > the use of a flat webbing tree hugger or the hollowbraid rope like
      > dave & several of us are using (being hollow, it flatens out when
      > streched).
      > ...tim

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic