13934Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: hammock support lines

    May 31, 2006
      aris & brandon... g-morning. if i`m not mistaken, dave (youngblood) was the 1st to point out the usefulness of this type rope.
      i belive it`s poly, & the way it`s braided, there`s nothing in the center. it`s actualy a hollow tube. so when it`s pulled against a tree, it flatens out, just like a pice of webbing.
      they sell it at lowes, home depot, or most any hardware store. i got mine at the local general store. i belive 3/8" is what most are using. someone else will have to fill you in on the breaking strength/safe working strength, but that size seems to be plenty strong. or check the files on this group.
      the weight is less, belive it or not, than webbing.
      now some may make the point that even though this kind of rope seems to be very "tree frendly", if we use "rope" instead of flat webbing, we are inviting trouble, because some will see our using rope & choose to use rope themselfs, not understand (or caring) about the differance in this type of rope. i certainly understand that point, but i`ve desided to at least give the hollow braid a try. i`ll be using it for the 2nd time this weekend. thanks ...tim

      kbwaddy <kbwaddy@...> wrote:
      tim, where can i find info on this hollow braid rope, is it much heavier than a
      regular lightweight cord, whats it made of etc...Brandon

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...>
      wrote:

      > yeah, there`s been quite a bit of talk here & on other backpacking
      > groups/sites about tree damage. others here can do a better job of
      > explaining the in`s & out`s of it, but here`s what i`ve gathered so
      > far.
      > the damage will vary from one kind of tree to another (like a
      > smooth bark beech or a rough bark pine). and then there are differant
      > kinds & thickness` of rope.
      > some bark could probably take it with-out any sign of damage,
      > especialy not anything that would show up as a problem for quite some
      > time. but even though a hammock gives us a lot of freedom in where we
      > sleep, the best place we find our hammock for the night may be using
      > trees with thin bark.
      > it seems a much better idea to err on the side of caution,
      > especialy when we`re encouraging others to try hammocking & some of
      > those folks may not know any differance from one tree to another.
      > and some of them probably wont care. so it`s better to encourage
      > the use of a flat webbing tree hugger or the hollowbraid rope like
      > dave & several of us are using (being hollow, it flatens out when
      > streched).
      > ...tim

      tim garner