13929hammock support lines

    May 30, 2006
      yeah, there`s been quite a bit of talk here & on other backpacking
      groups/sites about tree damage. others here can do a better job of
      explaining the in`s & out`s of it, but here`s what i`ve gathered so
      far.
      the damage will vary from one kind of tree to another (like a
      smooth bark beech or a rough bark pine). and then there are differant
      kinds & thickness` of rope.
      some bark could probably take it with-out any sign of damage,
      especialy not anything that would show up as a problem for quite some
      time. but even though a hammock gives us a lot of freedom in where we
      sleep, the best place we find our hammock for the night may be using
      trees with thin bark.
      it seems a much better idea to err on the side of caution,
      especialy when we`re encouraging others to try hammocking & some of
      those folks may not know any differance from one tree to another.
      and some of them probably wont care. so it`s better to encourage
      the use of a flat webbing tree hugger or the hollowbraid rope like
      dave & several of us are using (being hollow, it flatens out when
      streched).
      ...tim
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic