13861Re: Seam Sealer

  • mijo_cats
    May 23, 2006
      Hi, I have a bit of chemistry and googled this subject.
      I found on this site
      (http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/print/0,17071,203227,00.html) that
      DAP's Paintable Silicone Sealant is a true water-based silicone
      caulk...so if that's what you have you can use water as a solvent.
      I also found on a few sites acetic acid as a solvent, which is just
      vinegar.

      I didn't see your orginal posting because I just joined the group,
      but if you are trying to seal a urethane coated fabric try this site:
      http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

      JoAnne

      <zippydooda@...> wrote:

      > I do not know for sure, but I expect that alcohol would not work
      as
      > well. Think back to all that stuff about polar vs non-polar
      solvents.

      > Also, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use the silicone
      stuff on
      > a urethane coated fabric.
      >
      > Bill in Houston
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Can denatured alcohol be used as a solvent? I never did well in
      > chemisrty.
      > >
      > > I've got some clear silicone caulking called DAP, and was
      wondering if
      > > I denatured alcohol would be adequate as a solvent.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic