13221Packgoat

  • Joe
    Mar 26, 2006
      Sorry to intrude on your group but Liam left the back door open. I
      live in the mountains of Western North Carolina and after a year of
      researching have just gotten three kids to train for backpacking. I
      think one reason it is big out west and rare here is that we have a
      lot of rhododendron, which is as attractive and deadly to a goat as
      antifreeze to a dog. In fact on my first short hike with my little
      guys, one of them got very sick, though we were vigilant about trying
      to keep them away from the stuff. I've seen Llamas around here with a
      bag made from screen over their nose and mouth, which will let them
      drink but not eat, so it looks like I'll be ordering some of those.
      Most packers are catrated males, called wethers. They can't carry a
      full load until they are about three years old. My guys are as fun,
      loving and trainable as puppies. They are herd animals so you need at
      least two for companionship. The biggest pain is bottle feeding. The
      actual feeding and bonding you do is fun, but washing bottles, finding
      a milk source, mixing with milk replacer, etc. is a little time
      consuming. But this is when they bond with you and also when they do
      their kid dance and provide entertainment. You can buy them already
      trained for about $300 but my 3 altogether cost me $50. In the long
      run I think they will cost less than my dogs for food, shelter, health
      and college tuition. I have a Saanen and 2 Alpines. There are 5 big
      dairy breeds that pack. Long eared Nubians prefer to stay home and
      watch TV.
      For more info go to - Packgoat - yahoo group.

      Thanks, Joe
      "Goat where you want to go."
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic