1316Re: Hammock Camping Sleeping pad

    May 9, 2003
      Bear, Todd,

      My take on reflective coverings:

      Experimentally, I found a "Refletix" bubble wrap/reflective pad to
      not be as warm as a Target blue 3/8 inch closed cell foam pad.

      However,

      just like with a thermos bottle,

      If you can arrange a reflective layer such that
      a) it is not in contact with what you want to keep warm and
      b) it is not in a chamber which has convection currents

      Then it may add something to warmth.

      A practical way to do this might be to put a space blanket in a
      hammock, cover that with a closed cell pad, and then sleep on the
      pad. The space blanket may add something as a reflector of Infrared
      light leaking through the pad back into the pad... To the extent
      that the surface touching the space blanket is air filled bubbles and
      not heat conductive plastic strands. Get the outside of the pad wet
      with condensation (great conductor of heat) and it would cause the
      space blanket to lose almost all it's potential effectiveness.

      Another practical way to do this would be to use a layer of refletivx
      between the hammock and a foam pad... But analysis of that is
      complicated by the multiple bubbles etc...

      Bear is completely correct as far as a space blanket being useless if
      the warm object is actually in contact with the relective layer... in
      that case, the heat is simply conducted through the thin layer just
      like it conducts directly through the hammock material to begin
      with. So sleeping on the space blanket does just about nothing.

      Practical conclusion: I believe most will find the utilty of using a
      reflective layer rests more in the air it traps than the use of the
      reflective material.

      <dchinell@m...> wrote:
      > Todd:
      >
      > I'm sure you'll get many positive opinions about space
      > blankets. However, my personal opinion is that space
      > blankets have NO heat reflecting properties in our
      > application. They act as wind barriers only. Since your
      > closed-cell pad is already windproof, I don't think the
      > space blanket would add anything.
      >
      > The foam pad sold by David Olsen is great -- hard to beat
      > the size. But for lower temps you'll want 3/8 or 1/2 inch of
      > padding underneath you, whether by combining layers or by
      > using a single, thick pad.
      >
      > I've used a single thickness of the Olsen foam to keep my
      > shoulders warm, down to the high 40s only, and it works fine
      > for that. It may work at even colder temps, but I just don't
      > have any personal experience to report.
      >
      > Bear
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic