12912Re: Just Tested Risk's Test Hammock

  • seuss910
    Feb 23, 2006
      Fabric shops likely won't have the webbing you want. Think of webbing
      not so much as thick and narrow fabric but as wide and flat rope and
      look for it where you'd buy rope. I eventually found a reasonably
      priced supply at a local hardware store. Not the big box Lowe's or
      Home Depot, but a good, locally owned Ace or True Value type place. If
      it's a hardware store near a marina or that caters to boaters, your
      even more likely to find polypro webbing by the yard.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
      wrote:

      > I bought some fabric from the Cheap-Mart $1.00 bin. But I couldn't
      > find any polypropylene webbings. I went to another fabric shop and all
      > I could find were 1 inch cotton straps.
      >
      > I put the test hammock together in a few minutes and went down to the
      > park to test it out. I hung it low to the ground so if it broke I
      > wouldn't break my tail bone. I sat down slowly adding weight to the
      > thing. Snap! It broke. It was the el cheapo cotton straps. I'll have
      > to order some 1.5 inch poly stuff later.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic