1290RE: Hammock Camping Sleeping pad

  • David Chinell
    May 5, 2003
      Todd:

      I'm sure you'll get many positive opinions about space
      blankets. However, my personal opinion is that space
      blankets have NO heat reflecting properties in our
      application. They act as wind barriers only. Since your
      closed-cell pad is already windproof, I don't think the
      space blanket would add anything.

      The foam pad sold by David Olsen is great -- hard to beat
      the size. But for lower temps you'll want 3/8 or 1/2 inch of
      padding underneath you, whether by combining layers or by
      using a single, thick pad.

      I've used a single thickness of the Olsen foam to keep my
      shoulders warm, down to the high 40s only, and it works fine
      for that. It may work at even colder temps, but I just don't
      have any personal experience to report.

      Bear
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic