1280Re: Condensation

  • Coy
    May 3, 2003
      I forgot to add. Putting a fleece layer between the body and
      reflectic or other pad for that matter seems to reduce the
      condensation or allows it to evaporate better or a combination of
      both. This can be a flece blanket or fleece clothes. Much like
      cloth seats are cooler than plastic like seats in a car. I know,
      more weight, but in the winter that is a given anyway. Much of last
      winters reaserch team The Ohio gang and Mr Garlington mostly found
      some fairly light solutions but there is more work to be done. Your
      Serria experiances will add knowledge to the mix. We await your
      findings.

      Coy Boy

      > Todd
      >
      > Good question. I'm not the scientist on board so I may get
      > corrected. But perhaps what is happening is similar to a glass of
      > ice tea in the summer. The tea is cold inside the glass and the
      > condensation forms outside the glass Dah. Ok not earthbraking
      news.
      > Consider the air on a cold night under the hammock (and pad) the
      > cold tea inside the glass. Now our body on the other side is the
      > warm air outside the glass. Condensation is drawn to the warm
      side.

      > On the ground Our bodies slowly warm the ground under the pad so
      > less condensation builds up on top. Less differance in temps on
      > both sides of the pad I'm guessing is the short answer.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >
      > -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "upricon" <thomchick@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > Why do pads condensate inside a hammock but not on the ground.
      Is
      > it
      > > because of the reflectix
      > >

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "bronco372003"
      <hlusk@p...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hello to everyone, I really enjoy this forum. Great info. I
      > sleep
      > > > in a HH and I made a new sleeping pad last week and tried it
      out
      > > the
      > > > other night. I used a 3/8" closed cell pad 27" x 72" , I made
      > > wings
      > > > from my shoulders to my waist Overall width was 34"(I am broad
      > in
      > > > the shoulders) and I attached a piece or 5/16" Reflectix from
      my
      > > > shoulders to my butt. The temp was about 29 degs F. and
      > snowing. I
      > > > was quite warm all night but in the morning I had some
      > > condensation.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic