12724Re:Orlando overnighter??

  • Wayne Kraft
    Feb 6, 2006
      Sure, I'd love to hear what the Florida gals think. So far, I've come up with two options
      within 1/2 hour of Orlando and Wikiwa Springs SP appears to be the best of the two. I
      think it will be crowded though. Everything else seems to be 90+ minutes away and even
      though I'm paying for everything and I haven't even suggested that anyone actually go
      with me into the bug infested swamp, I know I'll have a hard time getting anyone to drive
      that far for drop off and pick up, especially after last year's fun and frolic in Joshua Tree
      NP. I did read about one area that boasts a population of 17,000 alligators. I found this
      demographic a trifle intimidating.

      Wayne

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan" <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

      > Wayne-
      >
      > If you don't get the information you want from here, try the Florida Trails Association,
      or, with your permission, I can post your request to the WomenHiker list. We have quite a
      few Florida gals who participate and at least one might be able to help.

      > Good Luck!
      >
      > Rosaleen
      >

      > From: "Wayne Kraft" <wayneskraft@...<mailto:wayneskraft@...>>
      > Subject: Orlando overnighter??
      >
      > I will be in Orlando last week of March with the family checking out a school my son
      wants to
      > attend and the usual tourist crap. I'm hoping to break away from all that for a quick
      overnight
      > backpacking trip. I will be dependent upon the wife or one of the kids to drop me off on
      day
      > 1 and pick me up on day 2, so I need someplace fairly close to Orlando. I am not looking
      for
      > a swamp survival experience or endurance test, just 5-8 miles each day. So far I've been
      > looking at Wikiwa Springs SP. I generally travel light, carry my gear in a large daypack,
      use a
      > hammock for shelter and don't cook. I am from Oregon and my hiking experience in the
      > Cascade mountains and California deserts is all high, dry and cool. I expect the exact
      > opposite in Florida. I have no experience with southern hiking and, in fact, my
      experience
      > with the southeast is limited to a few business trips to University of S. Carolina in
      Columbia