1272Re: Hammock Camping "Tree-Hugger" Straps...

  • Sean Keplinger
    May 2, 2003
      On Fri, 2 May 2003, Rick wrote:

      > - What evidence exists at present to show that hammocks using ropes
      > have harmed trees (not the lawn hammocks which are left up for
      > months, but even frequent hanging of camping hammocks
      >
      > - What evidence already exists to show that straps (either strap
      > hanging of the hammock or tree huggers) eliminate the damage

      Rick, your comments made me sit back and think for a moment. I just
      recently (within the last two months) got into hammock camping and I've
      seen the "tree-hugger straps cause less damage" statement on many sites
      and mailing lists. I first read about them on Sgt. Rock's website and at
      the Hennessy Hammocks website.

      I'm sure the straps cause less bark damage, but how much damage is really
      being done? When I go out hiking, I never really spend more than one
      evening at a campsite and even then, the hammock is only up for about 16
      hours and weighted for a maximum of 8 hours.

      The problem would be on popular trails like the AT where you have a lot of
      people camping in the same place again and again.

      Sean
      --
      \___/ Sean Keplinger
      |o,o| skeplin at one dot net