      From: Sean Keplinger [mailto:skeplin@...]
      Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 10:07 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: Hammock Camping "Tree-Hugger" Straps...

      On Fri, 2 May 2003, Ed Speer wrote:

      > Many recreational hammocks come with round rope that causes a lot of
      > damage. Even the polypro ropes common on many hammocks can be a problem.
      > In fact, so much tree damage has been done by these hammocks in the
      > past, that some government parks, preserves and campgrounds already
      > prohibit the hanging of any hammock from trees. These restrictions will
      > become more widespread if we hammock hangers don't go the extra mile to
      > protect trees. Suitable, wide flat webbing is the solution...Ed

      I see...I thought you were talking about the type of mesh webbing you
      would see used for laundry bags.

      Would material used for pack straps work? How do you sew the loops on the
      ends so that they're strong enough to support the weight of the hammock?

         \___/  Sean Keplinger
      \/    )  http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com