12664Re: winter hammock

  • jwj32542
    Feb 1, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
      <marta_clark@y...> wrote:
      > How much use do you think
      > it takes to get a hammock stretched to it final size?

      Hrm...good question. Guess it depends on the type of fabric, too.
      I used untreated ripstop on mine, and I'd guess most of it was
      stretched out after 10-14 nights, maybe.

      I don't remember your design exactly, but when I made my first one I
      had enough extra length but not enough extra width, so it still
      compressed. I had to make sure I put in HUGE darts on all four
      sides of the bottom cover. If they're too big, you can always
      gather the cover towards the middle, put in a tailored seam, and
      trim the excess. You'll have an extra seam, but it's much easier
      than resewing the entire cover AND it'll give you some 3D fitting.
      Just a thought...take it or leave it!

      Sounds like your experimentation is giving some good lessons,
      though - I can't wait to see what your final product looks like!
    • Show all 41 messages in this topic