12662Re: winter hammock

  • Bill in Houston
    Feb 1, 2006
      Do you have a place where you could hang it and put weight in it and
      leave it for about a week? That would be overkill, but it would help
      you feel assured that it was done stretching. I'm thinking a couple
      hundred pounds - more than it would get in use - just to make sure.

      Also, I agree with Jeff's idea to leave the ends of the bottom fabric
      out of the whipping, definitely.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "marta_clark"
      <marta_clark@y...> wrote:

      > I did sew the sides in place when I made the hammock but I've been
      > reluctant to sew down the ends until I'm absolutely sure I've got
      > enough slack built into the system. I'm pretty sure the hammock bed
      > stretched significantly Saturday night. How much use do you think
      > it takes to get a hammock stretched to it final size?
      >
      > Marta
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Marta,
      > >
      > > Another option is to sew the bottom layer onto the hammock,
      across
      > all
      > > four sides, so you have a rectangle of insulation and cover right
      > > below you. That way, the bottom layer doesn't need to reach the
      > > whipping, and you eliminate 2-3' of material.
      > >
      > > Just a thought. Still have to get the sizing and darts right,
      > though -
      > > my last one was too narrow and compressed the insulation just
      > your
      > > trip this time.
      > >
      > > Jeff

    • Show all 41 messages in this topic