12637Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping the hammock dry...

    Jan 29, 2006
      i like it. sounds like it will give somewhat simalar effects as the thing brian & i have both done w/ short strips of webbing...forming a waterproof blocking point on the strap that water has no choice but change directions. let us know how well the silicon keeps the rubber glued to the webbing w/ packing & unpacking. ...tim

      "Michael B. Carter" <carterm@...> wrote: Just to keep the thread going regarding the ongoing saga of water running
      down the straps and soaking the hammock.
      Here's my latest "water blocker" idea for my hammock straps. It's working
      very well so far.
      I cut apart an inner tube, and made two discs about 2.5" in diameter
      each. I cut a slot in each one, and
      slid one over each hanging strap. I ran a thin bead of silicone on each
      side of the disc along both sides of the strap.
      This may not be absolutely necessary, but I wanted to rule out any
      possibility of wicking. So far they are blocking
      any water I can make run down the straps, and they weigh practically
      nothing (less than 1/2 oz total). Long term test when I get back from
      Oregon this week (I know - Oregon is the perfect place to test the idea,
      but work will be getting in the way of that).

      Michael

      tim garner