12601Re: [Hammock Camping] Winter Hammock fabrics - Now "hardtop"

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Jan 27, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
      > Uh...yeah. For cold weather camping I replace the noseeum netting
      > with with a piece of uncoated 3/4 oz. ripstop with the same diamond
      > shape and velcro on the sides. I've sewn a little bugnet window
      > (triangular, about 4"x8") roughly over where my head is for
      > ventilation, but the fabric is so porous I don't know that it's
      > necessary.

      Now, that is cool! Somehow, I have missed seeing/hearing about this
      idea/concept before...
      > the "hardtop" over a ridgeline, it's like a cozy little tent under
      > the fly with temps a good 15 degrees warmer (at least) than outside.
      > Nice and cozy for reading a chapter or two before sack time and I've
      > never had any issues with condensation come morning.
      And, it gets better! No condensation! Condensation, dew, wind-blown
      rain/snow, some additonal warmth. The *only* draw back is the lack of
      a full view; but, it's always dark when I crawl in and dark when I get
      up and struggle to find coffee.

      Are there pics...? I will go searching...

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic