12590Re: RE: {Spam?} Re: [Hammock Camping] wet weather testing

  • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
    Jan 26, 2006
      From: Ed Speer <ed@...>
      Date: Thursday, January 5, 2006 1:07 pm
      Subject: RE: {Spam?} Re: [Hammock Camping] wet weather testing

      > Your tarp missing problem is common. Normal silnylon is
      > waterproof only to
      > a certain water pressure-anything above that (like really hard or
      > wind-blown
      > rain) and it can leak a bit. However silnylon is generally
      > adequate for
      > anything short of a hurricane. More likely the misting came from
      > condensation buildup on the underside of the tarp during the rain.
      > Then
      > heavy rain drops on the top side dislodge tiny drops of the
      > condensation on
      > the underside.

      I found that the coating was not complete. The actual fabric became
      saturated. A sprinkler revealed that drops were misting through the
      fabric. Once recoated this stopped.

      >I avoid tarp ridgelines for this reason.

      I do not use a ridge line but I can see how this could cause problems.

      Also, the nylon strap pieces I sewed to my support straps have worked
      to stop water running toward my hammock. Even the full flow of the
      garden hose is stopped. I will post some pics by the weekend.

      Brian
      T-BACK
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic