12555Re: Hammock Stand

  • Matthew Takeda
    Jan 26, 2006
      J.D. Hoessle wrote:
      >I have *NOT* tried to duplicate the hammock-stand as of yet. Bill
      >mentions the potential problems with the stake and I looked at the
      >text where it says something about "screwing" it into the ground.

      I haven't been able to make it work with my ordinary tent stakes.
      They just pull out of the ground, even doubled up. We use some spiral
      stakes for tying down airplanes that screw into the ground, and they
      can withstand a lot of tension. They work okay in the backyard, but
      they're also too heavy to take backpacking.

      >Now you mention breaking your pole. Hmmmm.... Guess the
      >stress(es) of using that set-up are too much.

      Being tubular, thin-walled, and small in diameter, trekking poles
      just don't stand up to a lot of bending moment. I had the two poles
      set up as an A-frame, and they supported the hammock for a minute or
      so, but then I moved or something and one of them just folded in
      half. Lucky for me Komperdell sells replacement segments. 8^)

      >IIRC, Risk's One-Pole method uses a 4" X 4"...

      I did the one-pole method with a 2"X4" last summer, and I suspect a
      2"X2" might work. I'm learning to stiltwalk and my practice stilts
      are made of #1 clear, knotfree, straight-grain 2"X2" fir. I'm
      impressed with their strength.

      Also, I've done the one-pole method with a downed branch I found, and
      it was maybe 3" in diameter at the widest end and probably 1-1/2" at
      the narrow end.

      >So, Thanks for the feed back! Too much weight and too much stress.
      >Better to find *TWO* trees and forget about that hammock stand idea
      >except for backyard / car camping.

      When I was a scout, lo these many years ago, our troop carried staves
      (or staffs, if you prefer) made from aluminum conduit (1-1/2" or 2",
      I'm not sure which anymore) with crutch tips on the ends. They stood
      up to all the stress a bunch of boys could subject them to. Bigger
      diameter and thicker walls make that material a lot more resistant to
      bending than a trekking pole. I wonder how heavy an A-frame stand
      made from that would be? You could probably hammer one end of each
      part flat and drill it so you could hinge them together with a bolt and nut.

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic