1254Re: Double bottom hammocks?

    May 2, 2003
      > I've just read all the threads on this and was wondering. You lay
      > the 2 pieces out one on top of the other, then gather the ends as
      > Ed describes in his book and make the overhead knot. So you have
      > basically a hammock under your hammock. This would seem to be to
      > tight to use say a down jacket for insulation. I would think when
      > you lay down the 2 surfaces would want to squeeze together pretty
      > vigerously. If I were to make a double bottom hammock I would cut
      > the bottom one a little longer and let the bottom one sag just a
      > little. This would not be a big deal with a pad of foam but for a
      > dual use items like extra clothes, especially anything down I'm
      > thinking it needs a little extra room. What do yall think?
      >
      > Coy Boy

      Coy Boy,

      I think your assessment about the tightness and down jackets are
      right. It is very tight where it is loaded with your weight and gets
      less tight when you get away from where it is 'weight loaded'. The
      side edges are typically loose. (This tightness is what 'kind-of'
      holds things in place when you move around. I use the word 'kind-of'
      because things are not locked in place.) So yes, highly compressable
      items won't work as well for insulation...you are still basically
      laying on them in the two-layer version, so on the plus side, you
      shouldn't have to make adjustments to take out any unwanted air-space
      between you and your insulation. I ordered some 1.1 ounce rip-stop
      nylon and should be able to make a lighter weight two-layer version
      with it next weekend. (Unfortunately, the 1.1 oz material costs a
      little more that the 1.9 oz material that I had found at a local
      fabric store and you need twice as much.)

      You could get similar results by making a pad holder out of light
      weight, durable material, sort of like Shane's blanket wrap (but not
      with the 'neat sheet', which I think weighs about 3oz per sq yd and
      is not intended to be durable). You could customize it to
      accommodate 'wing pads', smaller sections of insulation, unused
      clothing or whatever you like.

      Youngblood
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic