1253Re: Double bottom hammocks?

  • Ray Garlington
    May 2, 2003
      > If I were to make a double bottom hammock I would cut
      > the bottom one a little longer and let the bottom one sag just a
      > little. This would not be a big deal with a pad of foam but for a
      > dual use items like extra clothes, especially anything down I'm
      > thinking it needs a little extra room. What do yall think?
      >
      > Coy Boy

      I think having some adjustability in the size of the gap between
      hammock bottoms is important. This would allow the use of varying
      thicknesses of insulation.

      I am having good luck and little hassle with a 6'x8.5' tarp with loops
      at the corners and a drawstring at the foot end. I can connect it
      within a minute to either a Hennessey or a Speer. (just keep the
      attachment lines on the hammock body) The footend draw string is used
      to take up the slack in between.

      For my annual AT section hike starting this afternoon, I have decided
      to use the Speer Hammock with the 8x10 tarp, the Garlington Insulator,
      and wrap the hammock body & GI shell with snakeskins.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic