12496Re: Hammock Stand

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Jan 25, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Takeda <takeda@s...> wrote:
      > Bill in Houston wrote:
      > >A person who uses trekking poles could do this with no additional
      > >weight. I do not expect anyone will carry a big enough stake and the
      > >implement required to drive it, but tying to a shrubbery should work.
      >
      > Don't bet on it. I broke a trekking pole trying to do just that a
      > couple of years ago.

      Thanks, Matthew!

      I have *NOT* tried to duplicate the hammock-stand as of yet. Bill
      mentions the potential problems with the stake and I looked at the
      text where it says something about "screwing" it into the ground. Now
      you mention breaking your pole. Hmmmm.... Guess the stress(es) of
      using that set-up are too much.

      IIRC, Risk's One-Pole method uses a 4" X 4"...

      So, Thanks for the feed back! Too much weight and too much stress.
      Better to find *TWO* trees and forget about that hammock stand idea
      except for backyard / car camping.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic