12426Re: New Member

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Jan 21, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <toy01@b...> wrote:
      > I love camping,but rarely get to go because my wife hates to sleep on
      > the ground, I have never heard of Hammock Camping before. What are
      > some good links for finding out more about it and what is preferred or
      > suggested and what to avoid.

      Hello, Bryan!

      I am a little over one year into this hammock hanging thing myself.

      Tim has provided you with a number of links in another post here which
      are excellent. I had to prove this stuff to myself; so, the first
      adventure was to make a Risk ZHammock. I stayed warm and comfortable.

      Next, I purchased a Hennessy and then a Speer Hammock. I like the
      Speer a bit more; but, that's just my two cents.

      I began looking at hammocks as a way to save weight (YES it does!);
      but, found that the "comfort factor" everyone raves about is
      unbelieveable.

      Get Mr. Speer's book and make one of your own and/or buy one, and
      practice in the back yard. If your wife hates sleeping on the ground,
      she will find that this is a VERY safe/secure/comfortable way to go!
      Even the "modesty-issue" is covered - you have this tarp over you that
      allows you to stand up to change clothes! You can sit down to change
      shoes/sox and cook without crawling around in the mud.

      And... Depending upon where you live, you could hook up with some of
      these folks here to *SEE* what they are doing.

      Plus, you will find that everyone here is more than genorous with
      help, advice, etc.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic