1237Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

    May 1, 2003
      Dave, I'd suggest not tying a knot... the knotting makes the thing
      much weaker.

      I like your ideas of testing by people... Similar to my testing of
      the hammock by tying it up so if I fall I only fall inches.

      Since I do not have a hydraulic press at my disposal, Let's see...

      Nice thing about people is they can be moved easily.. they are self
      moving weights. Easier to get my friend to step on a platform than
      to put a 200 pound weight there myself.

      The simplest test I can think of is having two or three people sit on
      a piece of the webbing tied between two trees like a hammock...
      Assuming the piece passes, throw it away (or use it for something
      which is not weight bearing-it may be damaged) and use that type of
      webbing in the future.

      Make sure the ground under the testers is soft and that they are good
      friends with each other. Take pictures!

      > Rick,
      >
      > I'll give the testing idea some thought. First thought I had was
      > tying it off overhead and having several people grab hold and
      > gradually let it support their weight. Second thought was to not
      tie
      > off overhead and get couple of people on each end and then
      gradually
      > let it support the weight on both ends. I'll keep thinking about
      > it. I'm sure we will gets lots of ideas...some may even make us
      > laught.
      >
      > Hey, how about a tug-of-war contest over a creek on Ed's next
      outing
      > to determine the tensile strength? :-) We could team up based on
      the
      > type of hammock we use to see who had the strongest hammock lines.
      >
      > Youngblood
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <geoflyfisher@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I really appreciate it when someone calls me an enthusiastic
      > > youngster. You made my day!!!
      > >
      > > It would be wonderful to have specs on the webbing.
      Unfortunately,
      > > it is almost never available. Ed and I have had this
      conversation
      > > and it usually comes back to the fact that the manufacturer does
      > not
      > > want to be responsible for guarantees of breaking strength. They
      > > certainly do NOT want anyone putting their body weight on that
      > > strap. So getting a clear answer seems impossible.
      > >
      > > I agree with your assessment, yet have gone through a life of WAY
      > > overengineering things just because I did not know strength...
      and
      > of
      > > gradual backing down on the material until a breakage did occur.
      > >
      > > Maybe we should find an easy way to test straps?? Say you want
      > > say the strap is safe for 600 pound pull. So you test it to 900
      or
      > > 1200 pounds 5-10 times to see it that destroys it??? Let me see,
      > > what around here weighs that much????? Half my car??? Maybe a
      big
      > > fish?? You have any ideas?
      > >
      > > Rick
      > >
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
      > <dpwomble@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rick"
      <geoflyfisher@y...>

      > > > which

      > > > Rick,
      > > >
      > > > Be careful how you determine if the webbing is strong enough.
      If
      > > you
      > > > use it once and it didn't break, that doesn't necessarily imply
      > > that
      > > > it is strong enough to use 100 times, all that means is it
      didn't
      > > > break the last time you used it. I think the best way is to
      pay
      > > > attention to manufacturer's specifications, or barring that, go
      > > with
      > > > something that is obviously an over-kill for the application or
      > > > stress it once by several orders of magnitude greater than your
      > > > application in a way that a failure will not result in an
      injury
      > > (and
      > > > then, maybe not use that particular piece of material again).
      > > >
      > > > I know that Ed Speer has had both good and bad experience with
      > > > different webbing and has recommendations in his book about
      what
      > > > tensile strengths he recommends. As a hammock user I would
      > suggest
      > > > little caution in recommending weight bearing material for use
      in
      > > > hammock.
      > > >
      > > > Sorry to act like a wet blanket, I really appreciate your
      > > enthusiasm
      > > > and willingness to share your ideas, but being an older guy
      with
      > an
      > > > analytical background, I felt like I needed to put that out
      there.

      > > > Youngblood
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic