      From: Rick [mailto:geoflyfisher@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 8:56 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Re: tree-saver webbing straps......

      I really appreciate it when someone calls me an enthusiastic
      youngster.  You made my day!!!

      It would be wonderful to have specs on the webbing.  Unfortunately,
      it is almost never available.  Ed and I have had this conversation
      and it usually comes back to the fact that the manufacturer does not
      want to be responsible for guarantees of breaking strength.  They
      certainly do NOT want anyone putting their body weight on that
      strap.  So getting a clear answer seems impossible.

      I agree with your assessment, yet have gone through a life of WAY
      overengineering things just because I did not know strength... and of
      gradual backing down on the material until a breakage did occur.

      Maybe we should find an easy way to test straps??  Say you want to
      say the strap is safe for 600 pound pull.  So you test it to 900 or
      1200 pounds 5-10 times to see it that destroys it???  Let me see,
      what around here weighs that much?????  Half my car???  Maybe a big
      fish??  You have any ideas?