12207Re: DAM Dilemma - Exped or Warmlite?

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Jan 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jonas4321" <jonas4321@j...> wrote:
      > I don't care if I can fit the DAM in between the layers, I will be
      > putting CCF pads in there (I am going for 0*F and lower). I envision
      > the DAM being in the hammock with me. I am certain (at this point,
      > anyway) that I don't want an underquilt, as weight is not my primary
      > concern.

      Jonas, I just re-read the above... I don't think you will need the
      ccf pads. Purchase or make an SPE. Because the hammock will tend to
      "wall" you in (Think the letter "U"), your knees/elbows get cold
      against the sides when you toss & turn or side-sleep. If you are not
      familiar with the SPE, take a look at Mr. Speer's site. BTW, the SPE
      is designed to hold the *** 20" **** wide pads. Wider than that will
      be problematic in the hammock causing you to be way too high.

      > I hear they are both a bit clumsy to inflate, but would like some
      > feedback on that.

      The FIRST time, it took 15 or more bags-of-air. Since then, I have it
      "firm" in 5 or 6 puffs.

      > In either case, I believe I will be getting the 26" wide model.

      See above. I think you will have some problems with the wider 26"
      version. What kind of hammock are you using...? Try putting a rigid
      piece of cardboard in there that is 26" wide and I think you will see
      what I am saying.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic