12167Re: springer mt 05-06

    Dec 30, 2005
      Nope, I'm not backpacking yet. I'm planning on taking the 0.9 mile
      route. I'll get my stuff together today and drive up tomorrow.
      Speaking of my stuff, this kind of trip is not quite backpacking and
      not quite car camping, but it's probably closer to car camping. Last
      year I took the 0.9 mile route and carried my backpacking stuff. When
      I backpack I don't carry warm clothes to stand around in. I'm usually
      hiking or in my hammock with my sleeping bag for warmth and only have
      to stay warm when I'm inactive for the time it takes to cook and eat
      dinner. Last year I got a little chilly like that standing around
      socializing so I think I may carry my bigger pack and some warmer
      clothes this time... maybe some boots as well. Anyhow, I'll see
      everybody tomorrow.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@y...>
      wrote:

      > marta, brian, & doug ... sorry to hear that you won`t make it to
      > springer. i was looking forward to seeing marta`s insulated hammock
      &
      > showing my #2 attempt. it looks better. i`ll weigh it tomorrow
      > after the water repellant treatments dry. my friend jerome was told
      > by the us postal service that he can`t go either brian. i`m wondering
      > if youngblood`s knee is cooperating & if he went to hike in w/ bill
      > (bill from houston i think)? i plan to leave winston-salem early
      > sat morn & drive to the AT intersection w/ FS road 42 & take the 0.9
      > mile hike in to the shelter. at this point it looks like taking I-85
      > south to hwy 52 in dawsonville,ga is the strongest sugestion, but i`m
      > still looking. ed... hope karen gets to doing better. ...tim

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic