      From: Dave Womble [mailto:dpwomble@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 5:19 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Re: Double walled hammock?

      I used a two-layer home made Speer hammock on a recent thru-hike of
      the Benton MacKaye Trail in GA & TN.  I used two layers of 1.9 oz rip-
      stop nylon with DWR finish (that was the only material I had).  It
      worked very well.  It did a good job of holding the padding in place,
      it was more comfortable than sleeping directly on the pads, it was
      much easier to move about in the hammock so switching from side to
      back was pretty easy and there didn't seem to be any moisture build-
      up on my backside.  I have been planning on ordering enough 1.1 oz
      material to make one out of that.  I used two pieces cut to the same
      dimensions and let the knot hold them together and only the outer
      material had velcro for the bug netting.  (I only used the bug
      netting for about 2 hours on the 7 night trip).  So yeah, I have
      tried it and it worked really well.  I got the idea from an
      inexpensive "twin-layer hammock" that I bought last year that was
      very un-impressive, except for the two-layer concept.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Per-Arne Asp" <per-
      arne.asp@t...> wrote:
      > Just an idea (feel free to use):
      >
      > Would it be possible to make a (Ed Speer style) hammock of two thin
      pieces of fabric instead of one thicker piece? That way it should be
      possible to insert your pad between the two pieces of fabric. Anyone
      tried? Good/bad idea? What do you think?

      http://www.reemst.com/calvin_and_hobbes/comics/cstrips/pics/last2.gif