11669RE: [Hammock Camping] Ticket To The Moon

    Dec 5, 2005
      Charly, Thanks for the post! Your response is all we ask for-everyone
      should note that Charly responded on his own initiative since I had not yet
      communicated with him concerning this matter! On behalf of the members of
      the Hammock Camping List, please be aware that we greatly appreciate your
      attention and response to our concerns. This is a really fantastic
      discussion group and most of us feel that unsolicited advertising would
      adversely affect our hard-won community spirit. While we eagerly seek and
      appreciate the involvement of hammock manufactures like you, we would like
      to base the relationship on the mutual sharing and enjoyment of hammocking.
      We hope you will maintain your membership and contribute to our future
      discussions. I suspect others will voice similar opinions.

      Charly, and all hammock manufacturers and dealers, please feel free to post
      informative product news on the Hammock Camping List (but don't use our
      individual email addresses). Just don't swamp us with spam or other useless
      advertising! We're quite interested in learning about new hammocks, hammock
      accessories, design improvements of existing products, etc. We're also
      eager to learn from experienced hammock makers; but we're not interested in
      blatant or shameless advertising that serves the interest of the
      manufacturer without offering anything useful to us. While I have
      personally invited many hammock manufacturers to join the List, it is always
      with the understanding that they will do so as a hammocker, not as a
      businessman.

      As a hammock manufacturer myself, I too, struggle with this issue. I'm
      constantly aware of my own ability to violate the trust of the List, but I
      strive to keep my advertising efforts directed to my web sites. In addition
      to selling hammocks, another of my goals is to promote the good news about
      hammock camping and that is where the List comes in. This List is exactly
      the kind of hammock-community service I envisioned when I started it; thanks
      in no small part to the numerous hammockers who post regularly-actually this
      is your List, not my List. I'd like to think that anyone on the List would
      feel free to let me know if I'm violating my own rules or otherwise being
      unreasonable.Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc