11138Re: underquilts vs. pads....

  • jack_tier
    Nov 10, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@b...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, all. I'd like to request a little of this sage group's
      wisdom....

      > I've been using the following setup:
      >
      > above 60 degrees - a ~2 lb 40 degree down bag used as a quilt, no
      pad
      > 30 - 60 degrees - an 8 oz 27" target pad, a 22 oz homemade down
      quilt, a
      > silk liner w/ maybe one layer of midwt thermals below 40 degrees

      This looks like 8 oz for pad, 4-6 oz for the silk liner and approx
      20 oz for a top and bottom mid weight... or a total of 32-34 oz...
      assuming, your 22 oz quilt is enough for the top for you in this
      range.

      A 2 inch down under quilt and its suspension system will take you to
      this range in skivies, plus your unmentioned adequate,head gear...
      for 21-22 oz or a savings of about 10 oz...and a lot less bulk and
      more comfort.

      > 10 - 30 degrees - the 8 oz pad, a 32 oz TR guidelite, the quilt, a
      silk
      > liner, several layers of clothing, and several 'hand-warmers' if
      below 20

      Again this looks like 8 oz plus the 32 oz just counting bottom pads,
      40 oz total ( assuming the silk liner and extra clothes is now
      necessary because the limits of the top quilt are exceeded).

      A 3 inch down under quilt and suspension system will take one to
      this range for a weight of 25-26 oz total... a savings of 14-15
      oz....or use a 2 inch UQ and the pad for a total weight of 30 oz if
      you want the pad and a little more weight but still 10 oz less than
      your proposed set up.

      > degrees. 'Base' pack wt with this setup is about 10.5 lbs, with
      total pack
      > wt for a 3-day weekend (also including food, 2 litres of water,
      clothing)
      > about 25 lbs. It's probably below 30 degrees on 5 of my campouts
      a year,
      > below 20 on 2 or 3.... I've been generally toasty with this setup
      in the
      > mid-teens with strong gusting winds....
      >
      > The only issues I've had with this setup are:
      > - the pad is still not wide enough. at lower temps my arms still
      get cold.
      > I can usually find a place to keep them warm and sleep...
      > - the trickiness of getting into the hammock, adjusting the pad
      and TR,
      > getting into the liner and quilt footbox - esp at 3 am after a bio
      break!

      Note, I read this as the current set up is heavier and still has
      some problem issues for you.

      > Other than that, I love the setup and the good night's sleep I
      always get.

      > I've seen much of the discussion about underquilts, and find the
      idea
      > appealing. Before jumping into an expensive purchase or a fairly
      intensive
      > home project (also not sure that my wife has forgiven me yet for
      screwing up
      > her sewing machine on the quilt project!), I've got a few
      questions....

      > - will converting to an underquilt be a weight savings? my
      assumption is
      > that an underquilt, without additional padding, will be good to
      about 30
      > degrees. Is this correct?

      Yes, it is good to about 30 degrees.

      if so, isn't this a good bit heavier than my
      > current setup? The peapod is about 30 ozs, the JRB about 20.
      Isn't this a
      > weight gain over just the 8 oz pad?

      No... it is lighter, (You really don't have just an 8 oz pad...and
      it is not wide enough by your comments above) see the above inserted
      comments on weight.

      > - the underquilt appears to solve the 2 issues I have with my
      current
      > setup - the width of the pad, and the trickiness of having several
      layers of
      > pads.... I assume it's also more comfortable than the pads. Is
      this
      > correct?
      >
      > So - my dilemma! Do I have to carry more weight to solve my
      problems?

      No.

      As
      > I've thought through this, I've concluded that perhaps my best bet
      would be
      > to go with the Speer 4x4 SPE, with 2 closed cell foam pads. I
      actually
      > carry less weight (12 ozs if I'm calculating correctly), solve the
      first
      > issue completely and mostly solve the second....
      >
      > Am I missing something?

      Yes, The SPE is a great product for organizing multiple pads and pad
      wings...Adequate pad thickness and lengths for these ranges are as
      heavy or heavier... based on the model of pads, TR or DAMs and
      number of wing section pieces selected. Determine the pads for you
      for a given range and add them up... except for the minimal summer
      set ups the weight will come to more, in some cases much more than
      your stated 12 oz... It is true that for the weight this approach
      retains pads for a go to ground capability, which some will find
      desirable.

      If I'm thinking correctly here, why are the
      > underquilts so popular?

      They really are very light, if not the lightest alternative... they
      almost always win in less bulk... and, most importantly, there is
      more comfort and freedom in a hammock with nothng but you and your
      top cover in the hammock...

      That said, you do not have a comfortable go to ground option that
      retained pads alone, or in SPE, provide.

      Note, I'm biased as an under quilt designer and maker....Just my
      0.02 to keep the apples to apples discussion a more realistic
      comparision.

      Jack aka peter_pan