11137Re: underquilts vs. pads....

  • joe_ulrich
    Nov 10, 2005

      > Ask six people and you'll get ten opinions on this one. For the most
      > part, none of them are right or wrong - just find what works for you.

      You are absolutely correct.

      > Here are my thoughts:
      >
      > If your numbers are right, you'll be adding some weight. In my
      > opinion, it's worth it. I find the underquilt more comfortable
      > because I don't have to worry about shuffling the pad around when I
      > change positions, and I'm free to sprawl as much as I want and still
      > stay warm.

      I struggled with keeping a pad in place and staying in the sweet spot
      for a long time. Like you, I find the freedom of using an underquilt
      allows me to get a better nights sleep. No waking up because I shifted
      to the edge of the pad and my back is cold. No claminess in my bag
      from condensation because the pad doesn't breathe.

      > If CCF works for you, it's the cheapest and will certainly work.
      > You could always get an underquilt, then carry an extra pad when it
      > gets below 30 F.
      >
      > Jeff

      I am currently using my sleeping bag as a quilt. It's a 20 degree
      synthetic and weighs almost 3 lbs. I will eventually by a down top
      quilt and save space and weight. However, the ~$200 is not in my
      budget for the near term.

      Peace,
      Joe
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic