11056Re: support line strength

  • dlfrost_1
    Nov 4 1:11 AM
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
      > > I'm concerned that if I put that much force on it, I'll be too
      > > to its working load.
      > It is important to not use the wrong
      > knot for the type hammock suspension line you use... not only does
      > have to hold under pretty high loading, you also want it to
      > untie/release in the morning! That bowline with a quick release is
      > what I have been using for my rather slippery poly rope and it is
      > the Clark Hammocks use for there poly rope. I suspect that it is
      > easier to use than many of the 'easy' attachment schemes that I
      > seen for hammock suspension lines.

      I think the problem he's going to have is that the Prusik will shred
      the spectra line's braided nylon sheath in fairly short order. As
      slippery as spectra is the sheath will eventually just separate and
      slide along, slowly lowering the hammock to the ground. It's just
      not meant to hold that kind of weight in that fashion.

      For webbing on a 'biner (winter setup) I've gravitated towards using
      the figure-8 wrap used with the HH line. Solid and secure, easy to
      handle--even with gloves, or if it gets rained on and freezes. (Take
      the hammock off the 'biner and thaw out the rigging later on. No
      holdup getting on the trail.)

      Folks here were praising the Ossel Hitch for webbing a while back.
      One of its virtues is easy adjustability. I wonder how many are
      still using that?

      Doug Frost
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic